Olivieh

Had a fantastic weekend in the Catskills with friends and family, but the only thing I want to blog about right now is the Salad Olivieh that Amir's mom made. He called it "his mom's potato salad" so I wasn't super enthusiastic to try it. But Sunday morning when I made me a plate of whatever was in the fridge for breakfast, I slapped on a scoop of that. As I was eating it, I kept thinking that it reminded me of something I had had before and it wasn't just plain old potato salad. It was something that I used to get at this Mediterranean deli in Austin, but I had yet to find in New York. Amir just happened to be standing in the kitchen when I said it tasted like Olivieh and he was surprised and happy that I recognized it as that. I decided to make a batch of it last night but it didn't turn out the way I wanted. I didn't really follow a recipe. Basically, I just threw in what I thought should be in it and ended up with a potato, chicken, egg salad with peas and pickles--nothing special. So, I've googled some recipes and many of them vary in just a few ingredients--sour cream, lemon juice, carrots, onions. Here are a couple of links to recipes for Salad Olivieh:

iranmania
tumeric and saffron
mango tomato

Comments